Forum home Tools and techniques

Gardening Book

When I first started gardening, a good general guide was the Reader's Digest "Gardening Year" book. I want something similar for my daughter who has some knowledge of gardening but is fairly new to gardening. Anyone got any good ideas on a gardening book I could buy for her? It needs to include things like when to plant, when to prune, general overview of the gardening year, general lawn maintenance etc

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

Alan Titchmarsh's Complete Book of Gardening is a good 'gardening bible' - covers everything from the basics to more advanced stuff, and as far as I've been able to tell, the advice is totally reliable and is put over in an easily accessible way.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,495

I like Alan T too.  When I started gardening back in the 80s I too had the Reader's Digest book but found it too dry and formulaic and old fashioned so bought myself How to be a Supergardener by AT and he made it all seem accessible and possible.

If you can get hold of videos of his How to be a Gardener series that he did for the Beeb that would complement any book very well but his Complete Book would make a great easy access reference.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I'm with you all the way on 'The Well-tempered Gardener', Verdun. You need inspiration as well as explanation.