Tulips in cold weather

TomskTomsk Posts: 204

I have lots of tulips that have grown to full size, with more that are still growing, but they're refusing to open up and bloom. I think this is because we're still in this cold spell, which is set to last for another week or more.

Is this likely to shorten the amount of time I'll see flowers for when the temperature finally rises? It'd be a shame if I get two days of open flowers and then the petals fall off!

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,002

I think it's still early for tulips to be fully open.  Non of mine are some are only just poking out of the soil.  But I suppose it all depends on where you are gardening.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,629

Most Tulips, in his part of the world, do not start flowering until early April.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Many of mine (I'm in London) have grown to full height and developed full-sized heads already. When they've got to this stage in previous years (which is usually later than this), the flowers have opened within a few days. But these have been like this for over a week now:

I was really expecting the first few to open over the weekend, but when nothing happened I thought about the cold weather. It was warmer than this when they were growing.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,920

I had open flowers on early harvest at the beginning of February. we went away and it went cold. We still have the flowers, the ones in bud at the beginning of February are flowering, the ones that were open at the beginning of February are starting to go over.

If it gets warmer again they will go over faster.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Gosh mine (South Yorkshire) are barely poking through the soil!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,149

Me too Clari - they don't flower till May here normally, late April if you're lucky,  then they get battered by wind and rain unless they're tucked in somewhere  image

Mine are a couple of inches out the soil (in pots only) The common ones are bigger of course. They'll take any old weather and abuse!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660

Mine are still in hiding too. Very sensible if you ask meimage

• TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Well my tulips still haven't opened, and the petals are starting to look a little past their prime with the deep red colour fading slightly. Many of the plants are 18" tall and leaning over but really don't want to open!

There's still a few younger plants growing, so hopefully they'll be ready to bloom when it's a bit warmer in another week or two.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,633

My Darwin type tulip leaves are only about 4" out of the ground at the moment!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

i have a couple starting to show flower colour and a few others still pushing through but not far off

im in mid kent