Forum home Plants

Baby tiny antirrhinums

Buuuut...

I have unfortunately repotted them too soon (my wife described them as 'cress' the other day) and they fell apart. Obviously too soon!

How big do they have to be (from seed) to be 'big enough to handle'?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,566

When you can handle themimage

How tall were they?. What fell apart from what. I have pricked things out at seed leaf stage though when the first true leaves appear is probably better.

Hello, I hadn't realised you were new til I saw your other thread.

Welcome to the forumimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,444

Hi image

Right at the beginning seedlings have two little seed leaves - only when the next leaves appear (proper leaf shape according to the plant type) does it indicate that the roots are growing. 

If you're very careful you can prick out at this stage, but it's usually better to leave them until they've got a few more (4 or 6) leaves.  For this reason you should sow your seeds really thinly so that they have plenty of room to grow and don't look like cress.

When you prick them out don't ever handle them by the stems - just ease them out of the soil with a plant label, holding them gently by a leaf. 

Demonstration here http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/video-projects/how-to-prick-out-seedlings/298.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Antirrhinums are minute aren't they?

I always sow too thickly and have occasionally  pricked these out in little clumps and thinned them laterimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi Whispersmummy With anterinnhums they do need their proper leaves because they'll transplant better because they will have roots thenimage