Forum home Plants

"Climbing Geraniums" - cut them back?

Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Last summer I bought some "climbing geraniums" from the garden centre, and they were great.  They were about 3 foot high when I bought them, and they grew to 4 or 5 feet high supported by obelisks outside our front door.  In late autumn I brought them into the greenhouse - at that stage I had to cut them back to about 2 foot or they wouldn't have fit on the shelves.  They have flowered all winter, even though they've had no water or attention!

I have read somewhere that I should cut my geraniums back hard at this time of year to encourage growth from the bottom.  Does this apply also to these "climbing" varieties?  I want to re-create last summer's five-foot displays, and so I don't want to cut them back so hard that they don't grow to that height again. 

Also, is it time to start watering them yet?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

What you've got are pelargoniums not geraniums. They'd need to be treated as a pelargonium. I presume you've kept them frost free so cutting them back would be usual. I wouldn't take them back too far say six inches at most. I don't grow them but do raise pelargoniums for clients. They should if in a GH be starting into growth soonish it depends if the GH is heated or not. You can take cuttings now as well which can increase your stock.

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Thanks both!

• jhoward1jhoward1 Posts: 1

We have some geranium plants in pots inside the office.  They are a good 6 years old or better.  However, this year one pot decided to climb to over 8 feet in height on 2 stalks granted I have given one support up at the 6 foot area.  A third stalk is about 4.5 feet on its own almost straight up.  They bloom year round.  There are several colors in the pots.  The one growing tall drinks lots of water.  The other pot I actually almost killed it as it wasn't using as much water.  I repotted with fresh soil and it is coming back and has started blooming as well.  Just short and fat.  The other tall and skinny.  

What causes such a change?