Forum home Problem solving

Zinnias

My little zinnia seeds are spouting beautifully almost touching the top of the little mini greenhouse I got to germinate them in....any advice what I should do now?? Do I need to prick out or maybe ois in bigger tubs....when is it time to move them outside don't have to start putting them outside for small periods first? Is there anything I need to plant them away from or keep them away from??

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd prick them out into larger cells or  trays. You don't plant out till all danger of frost has passed, usually somewhere on May.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,027

Make sure they get some ventilation too Shirley. The lid creates too much moisture, so leave that off as much as possible now, at least during the day. If they're in the house, you'll need to keep turning them so that get equal amounts of light too.

It's a waiting game and a bit of balance now to keep them going nicely.  You may find they get a bit leggy - it would probably have been better to sow the a little later, but you can sow more to give you a succession  image  

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...