Forum home Garden design

comunity garden/park project

My street has a plot of land about 40m by 30m with a 1 in 10 slope. that the council have earmarked for building for houses,  They have offered the community the chance to use the land for a small park.  Several of us have got together to try and make a plan. We are looking at trees, maybe soft fruit and raised beds with some seating.  Oh and we don't have any money as yet.

We are in South Yorkshire, above 1000ft.

Has anyone done this? Can you offer advice, pitfalls etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,385

Ian, you say  "the council have earmarked for building for houses" I'd suggest you don't go with trees, as they'll be bulldozed when the houses are to be built.

Why not use it like an allotment instead? That way you're only working on a year by year basis.

Devon.
  • Sorry I may have misled people, if we can put up a good plan the council will take the land off the building list and it will then become a green space for the community

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,385

How about contacting local builders' merchants, timber yards, even the big DIY sheds to see if they'd offer some materials?

Get the local press involved too,might create a bit more interest

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,383

You may find some ideas here http://grapeshillcommunitygarden.org/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh