Forum home Problem solving

Coprosma Pacific Night

Hello.. I planted this shrub in Summer last year and appeared to be doing well but hardly grown..its in a well sunny border, well drained sandy soil. In the past 3 weeks, the leaves have started to discolour..They are going white and look like they are dying..what's the best treatment? Steve

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,774

Steven, they can't take frost or cold winds so unless you have wrapped it in fleece it will suffer at this time of the year.  Leaves going white are a sure sign of cold damage so best to wrap it asap until the weather warms up in spring.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • That's great thanks you..should I mulch it and or prune it slightly? I was thinking of moving it..would this be ok? Steve
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,774

It would be better in a large pot really, then you could bring it into a porch or cold greenhouse etc over winter to give it some protection.  If you can't do that, perhaps move it to somewhere still sunny but sheltered from the wind if you can.  However, I wouldn't risk moving it until spring and would just wrap it in horticultural fleece for now.  Once it starts to grow new foliage in spring, prune off any damaged leaves and tips and incorporate a handful of fish, blood and bone fertiliser into the surface of the soil using a small hand fork.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.