Forum home Problem solving

Beetles in May/June

The last 2 years I have had beetles in my garden around May/June time.  The first year I had around 10 beetles, last year I had over 350, a lot of which I killed.  I have been asked to get confirmation of what they are so Mr Fothergills can help get rid of them.   They appeared after I had cut the grass.   Most days would appear between around 10am until 2pm (when the sun was on the grass).  They would fly about 10 cms above the ground or be in the grass.  I had a large bucket outside with washing up liquid in (something I'd read online) and would put any beetles I could in this which seemed to kill them.  I am concerned how many may have burrowed back into the lawn.  My dad dug up a small square patch in the Autumn and found 3 grubs which he killed.  I only have a small garden but have a toddler and 2 cats, during the time the beetles where out last year I didn't want anyone in the garden which was very difficult.  By July the bugs had gone.  Is there anything I can do to try and prevent them coming back this year and is it possible to confirm what they are? I did not see any on plants in the garden (I only have a buddleia in the garden due to having cats)  On all sides of my garden is concrete I do not have any lawns beside the house.

The last 2 years I have had beetles in my garden around May/June time, I have posted a picture further on in the email.  The first year I had around 10 beetles, last year I had over 350, a lot of which I killed.  I have been asked to get confirmation of what they are so Mr Fothergills can help get rid of them.   They appeared after I had cut the grass.   Most days would appear between around 10am until 2pm (when the sun was on the grass).  They would fly about 10 cms above the ground or be in the grass.  I had a large bucket outside with washing up liquid in (something I'd read online) and would put any beetles I could in this which seemed to kill them.  I am concerned how many may have burrowed back into the lawn.  My dad dug up a small square patch in the Autumn and found 3 grubs which he killed.  I only have a small garden but have a toddler and 2 cats, during the time the beetles where out last year I didn't want anyone in the garden which was very difficult.  By July the bugs had gone.  Is there anything I can do to try and prevent them coming back this year and is it possible to confirm what they are? I did not see any on plants in the garden (I only have a buddleia in the garden due to having cats)  On all sides of my garden is concrete I do not have any lawns beside the house.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502

Could they be cockchafers (also known as May bugs or June bugs)  .  Amazing creatures - we love watching them.  Although ours fly high in the treetops, not low around the lawn.

Many years ago when there were swarms of them they were seen as a pest of farm crops, but nowadays there aren't so many and they do very little damage - it's such a shame to kill them - they're part of the wonderful world of nature and an important food source for bats. 

http://nationalinsectweek.co.uk/insect_info/what_insect/cockchafer.htm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,470

350 is a lot of beetles, but what makes you think that they need to be killed? What have they done to you, your children or your cats to make you think that they pose a danger to you?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

My thoughts exactly pansyface

• There are hundred/thousands of species of beetles many of which are infact beneficial to gardeners.

To ID on you really need a picture or atleast a description of the beetle. Even a size?  A location? Are you in the UK? North/South?

Even then to be sure you would need to catch one and take it to you local entomologist.

I haven't heard of beetles being a danger to children or pets. Some could give a nasty nip but then only in self defense.

If there are hundreds of the same species flying round together I could understand why they would be a pest. Perhaps you could encourage some natural predators such as birds?