Forum home Plants

Patio roses

Ann85Ann85 Posts: 8

Hello, we live in South East England and have several patio and bush roses in a sunny spot. They have not been pruned or cut back over the years and are all too tall, woody and last year only produced flowers on a few stems on new shoots at the very end of the woody stems.

We planned to cut them back hard after frost (March?) but now I see them have started growing new leaves already, lovely healthy red and green leaves, buds, but ONLY on top 10% of each branch. Can we cut them back hard now? Or after frost? Or not at all?

Thanks for any help!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,327

Now is perfect for pruning patio roses Ann.  Because they haven't been regularly pruned they might not like being pruned back hard but my experiences of roses in general is that they are pretty hardy things that want to live so I would cut them back hard.

More experienced rose growers may have better advice though.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Roses  of any type can be pruned at various times of the year but to aid growth, health an new wood/flower production, all roses benefit form being hard pruned.

You can leave it another month in case of possible frost damage but I would just cut them back hard now, despite new growth. 

For order:

Prune hard for winter / early spring (no later than end March)

Prune light after March for shape if necessary.

Prune after first flowering and for shape.

Prune after second flowering and them your back to winter again.

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 532

This is very useful Paul, I will do mine also. 

• Ann85Ann85 Posts: 8

Thank you Bob and Paul - I am a bit afraid to cut off the new growth but as you say, little choice with regards to getting better growth later!