Will my peony survive?

Last autumn I ordered a Peony tuber online and planted it at the end of my garden Instead of waiting to buy one cheaper in spring I paid extra to get one instantly and get it planted in autumn as I read that this is better for their performance. Anyway,it seems this has backfired. Due to the confusing winter it started to send up growth earlier than the mature ones I have. By February these happy little shoots have all been either broken or nibbled. Discovering this ruined my day. image So my questions are: Will it throw up new shoots to replace the ruined ones this year? ( I doubt it) If no new foliage grows,will the tuber survive and throw up new growth next year again? I would like to know if I should just replace the tuber. I was really looking forward to seeing a lovely red peony there aswell. Hmmph

• Sorry for all the text appearing as one block!

I typed it in a more structured manner,not sure why it hasn't come out so.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

Chanes are it will but it might be a little less exuberant than before. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

We've never asked what sort of paeonyimage

I think you'll have to wait and see. Herbaceous paeonies  put up the leaves, then flower and no follow-up leaves.

Keep your fingers crossed and try to find the culprit as aym suggests

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

My eye fell on the word "red" and I supposed herbaceous, perhaps wrongly.image

Mine are just coming through and have been covered with a good layer of home-made compost to slow them down.

Pheasants nibble mine more than slugs do.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I only have Molly the Witch and nothing has attacked her yet. Rabbits are having a good feast on other things though. 

• Yep it's herbaceous.

Thanks for your replies all image

My mature ones in my front garden are coming up now. They come up well each year.

I suppose it must sound rather daft to be thinking about whether it will still be alive next year. But I really am SUCH an impatient gardener, I'm attached to a false hope if sorting out the garden once and for all ( We bought the house in 2013). Of course I also know that this hobby doesn't stop, changes will always happen and expenditure will never cease.

It's an itch

No idea how to identify the culprit really. We don't get deer or pheasants in my garden. Of course we do have slugs,snails,fox's and also hedgehogs.

Part of the fun of gardening is that it's never 'once and for all' image

Though sometimes I wish just a little bit of it stayed done