Forum home Problem solving

Cosmos seedling have been devoured

I sowed over a 100 cosmos cosmic yellow seeds and they where doing fantastic, most had germinated and where and first leaves had opened. However checked on them this morning and the tops on every single one of them have disappeared! Nothing but a small piece of stem left sticking out of the soil. Some of which had been completely pulled out of the soil! No signs of any slugs or snails in the way of slime trails. And as they are up on a wooden bench in a large Polytunnel I don't think it could have been a rabbit. Please help! What could it be? Only thing I found nearby was a shield bug

• Also I should mention, all other seedlings in the tunnel are completely untouched and fine!

• B3B3 Posts: 14,993

Don't know what's happened. but on a positive note, cosmos germinate and grow very quickly so you should be able to catch up.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,774

Mice, without a shadow of doubt.  They did the same thing to my tomato seedlings a couple of years ago.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 571

aym 280

I have a pale yellow cosmos seeds to sow yet as late start in N East have to wait till last week in May to plant out but have been caught out with a late frost even than

They are a bipinnatus new but already have a gold medal so should be good and only 24 inch tall and early floweringimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Cosmos sulphureus?

Try C sulphureus 'Polidor' , really orange, the bees and I love it

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,557

Aym  has already put them in 7" pots! Don't think she can pot on any more.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

I agree with Bob that its mice that are the culprits  -slugs would have eaten the lot, not just nipped the tops off.

I have mice in my GH - too many to get rid of - so i put vulnerable seedlings on trays balanced on tall pots so there is an overhang.  Its the same principle as saddlestones on old barns.  Mice can climb, but they can't hang upside downimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.