Hydrangea is it too early to prune

Is it too early to prune hydrangeas

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,864

I'm leaving mine for a little while Woottie - for the reason Verdun gives. They look a bit rough (which I hate! )  but I don't want to do more harm than good at this stage image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I did mine a few weeks ago, as it was so mild and I didn't know any better (it's in all those 'jobs for this week' lists from January onwards!).

Later that day someone advised waiting until March, because if you do it and there's a frost, the ends of the branches get frost-bitten and you have to do it again.

Sure enough we've had frost every morning since!

It doesn't seem to have done any long-term damage - there's new growth, but it looks awful.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

I won't do any of ours until at least mid March. We always have late frosts. The top buds go black, then you have to do it again, as they are late flowerers you might just as well be safe than sorry, they will all bloom eventually so no point in rushing into it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• cornellycornelly Posts: 814

Try and leave ours until mid April, late frosts can do the damage, better safe than sorry.

• Don't touch mine till after the frosts, usually around April. As you say Lyn and Cornelly, better safe than sorry image

Forecast for next week is very cold with hard frosts every night/morning image