Can I repot a honeysuckle?

I got a Japonica Repens last year and planted it out in a pot, where it's doing really well on a trellis up our patio... however I think the pot it's in is much too small image

Is it possible to repot it? What would be the best way to go about this without damaging the plant (which is well tangled around the trellis).

Also, I've read on other threads that honeysuckle likes to have cool roots. It's currently on the right-hand side of an east facing garden, so it gets sun on the whole plant in the afternoon - it doesn't seem to be bothering it at the moment though or will it be more of a problem in the summer?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

In general honeysuckle is better off in the ground Sparkles. They like a deep cool root run. Large pots can work, but they need constant watering as this prevents powdery mildew. Bit like clematis cool and moist at the roots, head in the sun.

• Thanks. Do you think I should try and move it then?

Just realised I somehow posted this in Talkback - I tend to use the 'latest posts' to navigate as I get no notifications, must've been in there when I clicked 'new thread' :/

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Don't worry about the thread groups Sparkles, nobody else does. It all turns up on the same pageimage

I agree with Dave re getting it in the ground if you can. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Sparkles yes basically. Just remember moist at the roots and keep well watered till the autumn, they settle well if you keep up the watering.