Forum home Problem solving

White latex type threads

Been digging in patches in the garden again. Found amongst my weeds a white rubbery latex feeling growth. It doesn't appear to be attached to anything but has a root type growth structure and in various parts of the garden all underground. The area found today is covered by wood chip. The other area where stumps of a dead tree was dug out last year Worried what it could be. We've only been here a year.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,774

It's mycelium, the main part of most fungi.  Completely harmless and usually beneficial as fungi break down woody matter into a form plants can use.  As it's under wood chips, there's a good chance it is the mycelium of an ink cap fungus which are common on areas covered by bark chippings.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • iceice Posts: 327
    Brilliant thanks. Have fear of it being honey fungus... Anyway to check? Two trees had died (or been chopped down) prior yo us moving in. Paranoia has set in
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,774

Honey fungus produces black rhizomorphs which look like boot laces (hence the common name of bootlace fungus.)  These are usually visible under the bark of infected stumps and also radiate out into the surrounding soil, so if you haven't seen any of those or any honey-coloured mushroom-like fungi popping up, you are probably safe! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • iceice Posts: 327
    Thanks bob! I'll stop worrying then and start my weed battle again tomorrow then green alkanet still needs to understand its eviction notice!