knee pads

hi im a professional gardener i was interested to see what people do to protect there knees. i spent some of the day on my knees weeding and over the last couple of months i have been trying to protect my knees more. i have try the builder type strap on knee pads but they are a little large.At  the moment i an wearing musto neoprene sailing knee pads they are much smaller and easer to use every day. i going to try out trouser insert knee pads. i just wondering what other people do as gardening seems to be an area of PPE which is lacking slightly.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I use builders type knee pads......wouldn't be without them!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,274

I wear builders trousers with the removable knee pads and find them very good.  Lots of useful pockets too!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,851

I've had knee surgery and generally find kneeling uncomfortable.  I've had some success with those containing gel inserts and thick padded ones.  The main issue is finding ones which are water resistant.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I use material ones with a spongy padding that attach with velcro straps. I hand washed them last week and they are fine.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,394

I can't kneel much since I had surgery on both feet which means it puts extra pressure on my double jointed 3 middle toes.  

When I do, I use a kneeling pad. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,205

Well, this is an insight into the hidden world of knees. I just kneel down. Lucky me it seems.image

Getting up takes a while though.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've got a kneeler gadget which reverses to a seat when I turn it the other way up. Solves the problem of getting up as there is something to lean on. My mum gave it to me about twenty years ago - she said that I'd use it eventually- and I do now.

• I have a home made kneeling pad of some soft polystrene foamy stuff folded inside a plastic bag, and I also use a carpet sample square with waterproof backing, as I often like to sit on it as well as kneel, sort of kneeling sideways, especially when I'm weeding and in one spot for a while.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,257

I have various sizes of kneeler pads, but they are no good in the middle of the bed. I have gel knee pads, the Velcro stays on well but most times I pop out to look at the garden then get stuck into something completely forgetting the pads. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.