Forum home Problem solving

Cyclamen seedings

Two years ago I sowed cyclamen seeds which germinated, but at the end of the season their leaves dried so I stopped watering them. When the next season arrived I started watering again but none of them sprouted any leaves. Now I have another lot which germinated. Please can you tell me how I can save them when their season is over?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

Are these indoor cyclamen (Cylamen persicum) Louis?  If so, you need to keep them somewhere cool, frost-free and light for their first year and the leaves will not die off.  Those I sowed last spring have continued growing in my unheated conservatory over  winter and the corms are now about 1cm diameter.  I will transfer them from the seed tray to individual 9cm pots in the spring and some of them will produce a flower or two later in the year but it will be next year before they bloom well.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Wow that was fast! No they are outdoor cyclamens. Then what I did wrong was that I kept them outdoors and here in Malta it is quite hot in summer. I shall try to keep them somewhere cool and keep the compost damp. Thank you very much for your help.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368

Only very slightly damp in the dormant seasonimage

• Thanks.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,569

Can anyone advise me please ! My neighbour gave me 10 seeds from his indoor cyclamen - when I took the cover off this morning 9 of them have germinated image.

My problem is I don't know what to do next, they are in the greenhouse in a shady bit, I have taken them out of the heated propagator & popped a cover over them. Should I leave them like this, or don't they need the cover (greenhouse is unheated, but I do use fleece over tender stuff if need be).

Many thanks.  

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

Indoor types are fairly tender, especially when young.  Leave the cover on them for now but remove it when the weather warms up a bit and night temperatures are unlikely to go down to single figures in your greenhouse.  After that it's just a matter of making sure they don't dry out and growing them on for a year. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,569

Thanks Bob. I have just watched the weather forecast, and although it hasn't been too cold here (Gloucestershire), I see it is going to get a bit chilly over the next couple of nights. I might play it safe & move them to the kitchen windowsill for a day or two.