Louis Bartoli Posts: 3
Two years ago I sowed cyclamen seeds which germinated, but at the end of the season their leaves dried so I stopped watering them. When the next season arrived I started watering again but none of them sprouted any leaves. Now I have another lot which germinated. Please can you tell me how I can save them when their season is over?
Are these indoor cyclamen (Cylamen persicum) Louis? If so, you need to keep them somewhere cool, frost-free and light for their first year and the leaves will not die off. Those I sowed last spring have continued growing in my unheated conservatory over winter and the corms are now about 1cm diameter. I will transfer them from the seed tray to individual 9cm pots in the spring and some of them will produce a flower or two later in the year but it will be next year before they bloom well.
Wow that was fast! No they are outdoor cyclamens. Then what I did wrong was that I kept them outdoors and here in Malta it is quite hot in summer. I shall try to keep them somewhere cool and keep the compost damp. Thank you very much for your help.
Only very slightly damp in the dormant season
In the sticks near Peterborough
Can anyone advise me please ! My neighbour gave me 10 seeds from his indoor cyclamen - when I took the cover off this morning 9 of them have germinated .
My problem is I don't know what to do next, they are in the greenhouse in a shady bit, I have taken them out of the heated propagator & popped a cover over them. Should I leave them like this, or don't they need the cover (greenhouse is unheated, but I do use fleece over tender stuff if need be).
Indoor types are fairly tender, especially when young. Leave the cover on them for now but remove it when the weather warms up a bit and night temperatures are unlikely to go down to single figures in your greenhouse. After that it's just a matter of making sure they don't dry out and growing them on for a year.
Thanks Bob. I have just watched the weather forecast, and although it hasn't been too cold here (Gloucestershire), I see it is going to get a bit chilly over the next couple of nights. I might play it safe & move them to the kitchen windowsill for a day or two.