Forum home Garden design

Greenhouse thingy

• Thanks for your kind comments - it looks somewhat less inviting at the moment, as you can barely get in the doorimage

Need to do some tidying and sorting and evacuate some things to the cold frame, which is behind it. I also have there a metal shelving set for seed trays, which is useful, as I can use it inside or out when the pressure for space is greatest. The area just ouside is shaded and sheltered, so makes a good space for hardening off trays of plants. Useful to have all these things close at hand.

The rocking chair no longer fits in the kitchen where it used to live and looks shabby anyway as the dog chewed the ends off the rockers when she was a pup, so I thought it a good idea to rescue itimage

• I love the pics of your GH, Buttercupdays! And it is the perfect place for an old chair. That is an idea I might copy into my new GH when I ever get to build it. I'd like to see more pics of more GH's! They are so awesome.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,324

Jason Milly , yes it  is exciting , we put our up in the winter and remember had lot of problem with the rubber beading , it is Aluminun framed until we warmed it up on radiators in house first , when finished have to put picture on site 

Are you planting in soil or grow bags , I use grow bags and pots , a central path with gravel either side on membrane works for me but everybody different image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,547

I used to have two greenhouses - one a small 4x6 and a larger 8x6.  Then in 2002 a 70ft tall Ash tree fell on both, smashing the larger one to pieces and badly damaging the other:

With careful use of a bench vice and much muscle I managed to straighten enough pieces and combine them with parts from the small one to make a 10x6 which is still in use today. image

Try that with a wooden-framed one! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Bob , was there lots of fire wood ?image

Bob , just thought should put picture on of new g/h image

• Why metal frame instead of wooden frame? Any other reason than personal preference?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,547

Good idea GWRS!  This is the rebuilt one, completed April 2003 before glazing:

and reglazed and in use, in June 2003:

Finally, yes, there was rather a lot of firewood!:

Watching me cut that lot up with a chainsaw was obviously very tiring for my cat 'Startle':

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,114

Gardenvicking, are you having a moving in party image

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,749

You have done a good job of that Bob, looks like the ash tree was well rotten in the middle.