Rot proof raised beds

i want to start veggie gardening with raised beds.  But the climate over the past few years has been increasingly wet.  Therefore the usual cheap solution of wooden raised beds seems pointless as they will rot in no time. 

My plot is 6m X 2m and I was thinking of four 2m X 1m beds.  And at least 0.5m (or taller) in height.  There are a couple of recycled plastic kits on the market which I love but they exceed my budget.  

Looking for ideas.  Needs to blend in with garden.

Chees!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,338

Brick? You'd need to have plenty weep holes at the bottom, of course, but in essence they would just act as enormous plant pots.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004

FP - If you line heavy duty fencing timber with plastic sheeting, they'll last a good while. It's how I do all mine image

You could use breeze block,render them and paint them. Even if you're not an expert, it wouldn't be difficult to make them look good, and if you put some timber round the top to give an edging, they would be quite attractive. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Hi, mine are made of scaffolding boards 2mx50cm, I've had them for 5 years and no sign of rot yet.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,039

If you can afford them, a permanent (well, 50 year life) answer is to use planks made from recycled plastic.  Google 'recycled plastic planks' and you will find lots of suppliers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=recycled plastic planks

Hyperlinks still broken I see! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.