Forum home Problem solving

Seed tray outside

I live in the South East, if I put a seed tray with a fitted clear plastic lid outside will the temperature inside be much higher than the outside? If so by roughly how much. Ideally I'd like an extra 5C  I don't have a greenhouse or suitable space for a coldframe but could do with a little head start on the weather, thanks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

In the sun it would cook, so needs to be in shade.

Overnight, much the same temperature as outside.

What are you going to sow?

• I want to sow some Cosmos Nutcutlet

They're not hardy so I wouldn't start yet. No rush, we've a bit of time yet before summer

• B3B3 Posts: 14,993

I have grown many seeds successfully outside in south east from about March - no cover on the principle that what doesn't kill them makes them stronger. I have been particularly successful with cosmos , cigarettes, artichoke, and lots of bedding plants.  Give them a go..

In London. Keen but lazy.

You're growing cigarettes B3?

Oh yes can I sell you some cheap. They're organic

Also courgettes

• image I did start Cosmos successfully with no cover from about mid march for the last couple of years but we were blessed with mildish weather I still have fear of a late very cold spell.

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

I know that I've said this before but Google and then have ago at 'Wintersowing'. Its mainly done in the USA and Canada, but if you don't have a greenhouse or coldframe then you should find it useful. Despite having both I still sow my seeds in plastic milk containers and then just forget about them, they are well protected in their little mini greenhouses and will germinate when they feel the time is right. You can safely sow many seeds earlier than is stated on the pkts. I also like the fact that my greenhouse is not so crammed up with seed trays and that I only need to flip open the 'lids' of the milk containers to harden off