Forum home Fruit & veg

Best compost for veg in raised beds

Can anyone recommend the best compost available in garden centres for growing veg in raised beds (I can't make my own). I'm intending to grow beetroot, chard, lettuce, etc.

Thanks, anne

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    You could use a multi compost or a soil based one
  • A18A18 Posts: 6

Yes but there are so many makes! I was wondering whether anyone had experience of any that work well particularly for veg in raised beds

Thanks, anne

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,602

A18, You'll find lots of comments on here regarding composts, and the long and the short of it seems to be, None of them are perfect, no matter how much you spend, and they all vary in quality from one batch to another, even in the same brand.

I'd go with something fairly cheap and add fertiliser as the season goes on .

If you can get hold of some well rotted manure ( check freecycle for stable manure ) add that to the mix, but make sure it's well rotted.

Devon.
  • A18A18 Posts: 6

thank you, that's good to know!

bw, anne

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I buy Vital Earth compost and composted organic stable manure as they are cheap and provide lots of organic matter. Throw in some blood, fish and bone to add fertility. Composts vary somewhat, from batch to batch, some being rather woody. 

The problem with local manure is you don't know what is in it, from weed seeds to chloropyralids and other broadleaf weedkillers which damage many seedlings. Friends bought animal poo from a farmer, and had distorted plants even after letting it rot for a year. 

It might be too late but you have to ask why you are creating raised beds. If your soil is rubble, or sodden, fair enough, but even clay soil is fertile given a couple of inches of compost. I have shallow raised beds, simply because the frames keep the top layer of compost from spilling out. My heavy clay soil is actually rather good. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,602

A18, how deep are your beds?

Devon.