Forum home Fruit & veg

greenhouse fruit

I want to grow something different in my greenhouse and I thought maybe a small fruit tree. Would a peach or apricot tree be a good idea? If so, which variety? And where is the best place to buy one from?

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

You can grow a small fig tree in your greenhouse for fabulous fruits that taste like toffee. If you keep it to one stem and don't let it get above about 4' tall, it will fruit nicely. I saw them grown like this in the glasshouses at Audley End and it works very well. I take cuttings from my trees so that I always have a new one to replace any that are getting too big.

My original fig was a very tiny plant from a garden centre, un-named though most probably Brown Turkey as that is the one that does well in this country. They are available online from loads of places and I have just bought a Rouge de Bordeaux from Pomona Fruits just to see how it compares with Brown Turkey.

If you don't like the fruits, you can use any leaves to cover statuary that offends the delicate minded amongst us.

Ceres is the Roman goddess, Demeter is the Greek version. Doesn't help my plants grow though.

Usually portrayed with a bunch of wheat.