Forum home Problem solving

CRAPE MYRTLE INFESTATION HELP!

Hello All,

I have recently noticed that my small crape myrtle trees are infested by bug eggs.

What can I do to clear it? would apple cider vinegar help; if not what is my best and fast option?

Also how should I be pruning them to insure that they grow strong and blossom?

One last question, was it a bad idea to plant all 3 little trees together in the same planter?

Thank you, all the help and advice is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dalia

I have images below:

• DaliaDalia Posts: 16

Should I aggressively prune it and remove all the leaves and spray it with something?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,616

Woah!  Slow down!  Don't panic  image

Not every insect is a baddie ... most plants are host to all sorts of bugs, the majority of them are beneficial.

I can't enlarge your photos enough to see what they are but hopefully someone will identify them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Heheh Thank you! 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

if it is identified as a baddy, I've no idea, I'd just squish them rather than using a spray.

Devon.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,778

I can't identify it other than it clearly being a sap-sucker and almost certainly an aphid of some type.  As there are relatively few leaves I agree with Hostafan and would systematically inspect every leaf and squash/rub off whatever you find with your fingers.  Applying any kind of insecticidal spray (chemical or organic) is always slightly detrimental to plants and with so few leaves I wouldn't risk spraying with anything right now.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Thank You everybody for all your feedback!