Greenhouses

Hi all. I am quite new to gardening but always get to this time of year and wish I had a greenhouse, so this year want to do something about it! I have found the perfect space for for it with sunshine however we do have a problem with wind! At certain time throughout the year we are quite exposed when it gets windy, and I mean seriously windy! I seem to remember my father had a great timber framed greenhouse but did suffer with the glass slipping out of the the roof and felt sure this was after bad weather. Can anyone recommend good reinforced greenhouse companies or any ideas on what I should be looking for when buying one please? Thanks in advance

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,709

I have always had a bog standard aluminium framed greenhouse with horticultural glass and in each windy spot we have lived, the greenhouse has survived even when the neighbour's has folded up and died. I think it depends entirely on how the gusts traverse your garden and if the blast is broken up by any fencing nearby. If wind gets into the structure than it can blow out the glass and that leads to collapse. You could look to having a steel frame and safety glass.

• Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342
    I had a polycarbonate greenhouse with aluminium frame it was excellent! Very strong and sturdy and had amazing success with plants inside it. It said it was guaranteed to withstand winds of up to 90 mph but unfortunately succumbed to last years storms and gusts of around 60 mph..... Couldn't fault it until the freak storms hit and am missing it now. If wind is a problem like you say then safety glass might be the way to go, it's what I think I will be replacing mine with
  • I live on a really windy site at the top of a hill. Great views but extremely windy at times. I've had a Rhino greenhouse now for a couple of years and would highly recommend it. Had a couple of other companies over the year but this is by far the best. It's sturdy and very well put together - I had them erect it. No problems so far and it looks nice.
  • emma louemma lou Posts: 159

Thanks for your replies and certainly will look into Rhino as well as steel ones with safety glass too. 

Does anyone have polycarbonate greenhouses? If wind is an issue I was wondering whether polycarbonate is any stronger?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,914

I enquired about a poly one and even the seller said don't buy it if you live in a windy are. Which I thought was very good of him.

mine are metal framed and glass, never lost one yet, although in very high winds a while ago a panel did just crack right across the middle, wasn't toughened glass though so my fault.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Oh thanks that's interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that! I would of thought a metal frame with poly windows would of been stronger, although not sure why?image OK, I can rule that out then, thanks. Do you know if they are durable in a sheltered area if I change the location of it? The second most suitable place I am thinking of placing it is not far from a swimming pool and for obvious reasons glass isn't great. That way it is sunny, sheltered and no danger of the wind getting it.

• Is there any way you can screen the site a bit?

I inherited by current greenhouse from a neighbour after he had lost the glass in two consecutive winters.  I sited mine in the angle between a side fence and a rear fence and have had no problems.

My daughter bought a polycarbonate one as she was concerned about broken glass and children, but she is in a windy site and we chased all over the garden to retrieve the panels which blew out.

If you can provide some shelter it would help.

Yes, the second site is near the pool hence me asking about poly stuff. It is sheltered between to walls of the house and near a small shed so would be ideal (I think). I wasn't sure how durable in general poly ones were.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 645

Can't really answer this query but must put my five pennorth in, I have had a Red Cedar houe with puttied in glass for many years, the occasional drip is the only problem, it is very easy to double glaze with bubble wrap polythene, and is to my way of thinking warmer than ally houses, cover plants with fleece when frost is forecast, do have a heated bench for seeds and cuttings.