Forum home Talkback

Fucshia Plant

My fuchsia plant looks dead, and I have read cut back old stems, but it all looks old, What should I do ?

• B3B3 Posts: 11,538

Wait until the weather warms up before you do anything drastic. Some of the plant usually dies off in winter but it will sprout lower down.

If you want to check if a branch is dead, scrape a bit of bark off with your fingernail. If it's green underneath, it's alive.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the helpful tips, this site is really useful. I have always been a keen gardener and just hope for the best, but with this site I know I will get the best. Thanks.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Most look dead about now Lynn. If it's a hardy fuchsia scratch the bark and see if it's green underneath, you can cut them back now if it's not too cold and new growth will follow when it warms up. If they're tender they should be in a GH or cold frame. You can cut them back as well. Again scratch the bark if it's green they'll come back in time. If you're in a rather cold part of the country I'd leave it a few more weeks before cutting back, winter isn't over yet.