Forum home Talkback

Paraffin

Anyone could  tell me if there is anywhere cheapest I can get paraffin in Stockport not b&q or homebase .

• JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

I have stopped heating my greenhouse because of the cost of paraffin sold locally.

It used to cost £12 from a small local garage that was connected to a local transport company, then they closed the garage down, as it was starting to cost them too much money!

Now it is sold pre packed from £7.99 to £9.99 for 4 litres, it is cheaper to replace any tender plants that I have not moved into the garage over winter than to heat the greenhouse!

Thank goodness for global warming, it was 25.5 degrees Fahrenheit night before last in it, 40.6 tonight though!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,246

Hardware shop? Farm supplies shop? Builders' supplies shop?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

Should have said It cost £12 per 20litres

Sorry!

Ps How do I do an edit in my posting?

Cheers!

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Perhaps an old fashioned hardware shop would sell it. There used to be one near Houldsworth Square in Reddish on Gorton road. Haven't been there for about 4 years so may be gone now.

• Will look .

• hi jimmy if you say your paraffin  is £12 per 20 ltrs I think that is a good price my local garage £5 and  a garden shop£5  fifty    most as you say is £6 plus'@ for 4 ltrs

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,879

Crazy prices!!!!!  I haven't had to buy for years.  Depending on the location of the greenhouse it may be worth investigating the cost of getting electricity down to it.

How long does 4 litres of paraffin last?

• Not sure will be setting mine up soon first time using heater just in process of starting greenhouse project .