Forum home The potting shed

When will people learn the difference...

KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,820

I've just broken off from watching Monty Don's "Small Spaces, Big Ideas" because this always gets me screaming at the telly.

The voiceover person described the small garden at the rear of a property in London as being 30 metres square.  That is 100 ft x 100 ft in old money.  What she meant is 30 square metres or roughly 300 square feet, quite a difference I think you'll agree.

Unfortunately, you hear it all the time, even on news reports!  Please, please, please get it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,894

They used to have as much problem with square yards and yards square, so nothing new.

• Surely 30 metres square was correct? 30 square metres would be minute not "small"! It would be say 3M x 10M - surely not a garden? More a yard?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

Lizzybuzy, it depends where you live, I suppose. I used to live in more or less the centre of London and was "lucky" enough to have a 3m x 10m garden. It sold last year, I was told by an old friend, for £1.25 million. (Didn't cost anything like that when we bought it.)

I agree with KT53. At best it's laziness and one would expect better of a TV programme which employs people who are supposed to be literate and numerate. If I were buying a piece of land that was described as 30 metres square and it turned out to be 30 square metres I'd have been diddled.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,040

I agree with KT too.   The Beeb, along with other broadcasters and newspapers that should know better, is losing editorial grip on content of both news and programmes and is full of bad grammar, poor vocabulary and, in this case, a poor grasp of spacial dimensions which is unhelpful, at best, in a programme about spaces.

Verdun - people die every day and whether it's expected or accidental it's sad but it's irrelevant to this thread which is about standards and accuracy, not life and death.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,820

Enjoyed the programme very much. 

Lizzybusy, it was a patio area behind a terraced house in London.  Definitely not 30 metres in each direction.

Verdun.  By comparison with what happened near you it's trivial, but getting things consistently wrong simply isn't acceptable.  There was a news item recently where an aircraft was supposedly searching an area 1000 miles square, now that would be impressive.  The area actually being searched was 1000 square miles ie approximately 35 miles each side of the search ares.

PS. It's KT53 not 63 image

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Try to tell NASA that units aren't important: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/462264.stm

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

Correct measurements and sizing are vital when you plan anything!

It's why I always suggest that anyone trying to re design their garden draws up a simple plan - just the basics to start with, but the important bit is to do it to the correct scale image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....