Forum home Fruit & veg

container fruit trees

I am wanting to try my hand with fruit trees, this year. I would like ones that give me the benefit of the flowers, as well as fruit. They will also be going in containers. Please suggestions welcome.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238

What kind of fruit do you like? I see that you are a student. Does that mean that your resources are limited in terms of what you can spend? Let's say that you want to plant apple trees. There are some very old varieties which were often grown in pots for their flowers. One such is Nonpareil. It is a russet apple and it said that it was brought to UK by a French Jesuit priest and given to Mary Queen of Scots. I have a very young one and although it is planted in the garden soil I can see that it would do well in a pot. The main thing to ensure is that you buy a tree on a dwarfing rootstock. That way it will never grow too big. Look for plants grown on M27 rootstock. Another pretty old apple tree is Lemon Pippin. You can read about it here

http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apple-trees/lemon-pippin

Another thing to remember about fruit trees is that they often need a partner to make them produce fruit in any quantity. Nonpareil and Lemon Pippin belong to the same flowering group and so would pollinate each other.

Fruit trees tend to be expensive but they live for generations. An investment now will keep your grandchildren fed.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • hi lynn benge  I have a double plum tree Victoria/tzar  in a big pot4foot wide  by the same deep  had it nealy 2yrs hoping to have fruit this year if the birds have left any buds  it was a medium groth 6 to 8 foot will se how it goes for a few yrs then might take to allotment   if you look around you can get dwarf trees that you can train along a wall   good luck in your trials    Michael 

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I have a Red Windsor apple on M27 rootstock growing in a big container. I got it last year and it flowered beautifully and produced several apples (you are not supposed to leave more than 6 in the first year, according to the grower). They were delicious. It's a self-fertile variety. It was from a GC, but this is the grower's website: http://www.coronet.ie/coronet-miniature-trees-solo.php

Anything on the M27 rootstock will need a permanent stake.

• Thank you all, so I just look at the information and look for 27 rootstock, I am a student, my husband is the earner, so money is tight. And he like's fruit and I like the flowers.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    There is information on the RHS site. They recommend varieties and cultivation.
  • Emma28Emma28 Posts: 42

I recently bought a patio Crimson Bonfire peach tree. It has blossom, is self fertile, is ideal for a pot, has beautiful foliage and gives fruit!