Turkeys that didn't make it past Christmas

Walking around the supermarket each week, I'm intrigued by those packs containing  huge turkey legs & thigh joints and ridiculously cheap, costing something like £3.

I'm no stranger to the happenings of the kitchen, but I can't think of anything (other than pet food) that they may be used for.

Recipes please, you clever lot! image

I knew all this turkey crown business would have repercussions. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,534

I cook them long and slow in a casserole. You can add Moroccan flavourings and vegetables and serve with cous-cous. You can take the tender cooked meat off the bone and stir it into a curry sauce, or a creamy mushroom sauce. I expect you could roast them with roasted veg around them. I've used them for making big curries for charity events, because they are such good value. I hope the turkeys are treated OK when alive.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Lizzie.....you're a star! xx  image All I could think of is to casserole and then expected them to be stringy.

I love the collective knowledge of this forum. image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,934

I don't get that 'crown' thing either David. How do you make gravy!!

Casserole of some kind would be my choice too, but a creamy sauce like stroganoff would be very tasty. I do that with chicken, but turkey might need a bit of oomph to get more flavour.  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,817

I agree - casserole/slow cooker type dishes are a perfect way to use the legs - cook double the amount and use half of it to make a pie filling - two dishes for one lot of electricity image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,534

Yes, forgot pies! I've done that too.

Dordogne and Norfolk

And curries!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,437

Don't forget pies! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Can't have too many pies Lyn image