Help with allotment plant ID pls!

We've just taken possession of our new allotment - its a brand new site which only opened last year, so it looks like whoever had this plot before us only had it for one season. Its very overgrown, and quite boggy so I think we have plenty of work ahead of us image

But before we start ripping things out, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify these plants which are still planted there?

The first is this red plant - feels quite woody, and there are a few scattered across part of the plot, but I can't spot any patterns so I don't even know if its something which has been planted there, or if its just a weed!

The second is this - there is a definite row of them so it looks like they're there intentionally. We'll be back down there at the weekend and will pull some up see if we can identify them - unless anyone here can tell what they are from the (not very good) picture?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,624

1 looks like it doc weed, 2 looks like onion.

Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

if you click on it to enlarge it, then click on the little close up icon, you can see it more clearly.

Devon.
  • iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    I agree with Hosta, dock and allium of some description (along with creeping buttercup).
    Having said that, what I identified as creeping buttercup could be wild geum or even coriander. ..
    Deleted as repeat post.
  • If the first one is quite woody it could be a young hazel, second one definitely allium family.

the dead flower stems of dock are quite woody. 

Look at the crown at the base and you'll see a lovely young leave coming out towards 1 oclock on the photo.

Devon.
  • Thanks all! Yes I thought on reflection that the second one looked onion-y, but I couldn't see any sign of a bulb. I've only ever grown spring onions though so I'm not sure what an over-wintering onion should look like at this time of year. I think we'll have a careful look at these before disturbing them - I like the idea of a free crop LOL

The second one is coming out though....from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like its something we want to keep.

Fingers crossed for decent weather this weekend so we can make a start on clearing some areas and measuring out beds!