Astrantia major 'Ruby Cloud'

Hello everyone!

I've just purchased Astrantia major 'Ruby Cloud' seeds from the Sarah Raven catalogue, I've heard great things about Sarah Raven so have no doubts about the quality of the seed.

However I have never grown these from seed before and would love to hear any advice from anyone who has grown this plant.

I am planning on planting this along side Gypsophila elegans, as I think the delicate white flowers will compliment the deep purple/pink of the Astrantia. Any advice on what companion plants work well with this would be much appreciated also!

All comments are appreciated, even if your completely new to gardening!

Thank you - Jerry

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

Astrantia seeds need cold so best sown in Autumn out in a cold frame.

You could try putting them in the fridge now for 6 weeks, don't expect flowers this year though, I doubt they will be ready.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thank you for this information! I had no idea they needed a cold spell for germination, thank you very much, I did think they might take a year or two before I see flowers.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,090

The cultivars like 'Ruby Cloud' don't seed reliably true but you should get some nice ones even so. 

agree with Lyn re cold

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

It will be two years probably, before they flower, they are very slow growing from the start. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it! image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,232

Slow growing is right. They are PAINFULLY slow image