Passionflower fruits

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if the fruits on  my Passionflower are edible ??

. It is a Passiflora cearulea and has flowered continuously for several months now and is covered in green smooth oval fruits....it seems a shame not to do something with them but do not wish to poison myself !!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,241

Yes they are edible, but caerulea don't taste as good as the ones in the supermarkets.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,665

Yes, as FB says, edible but not necessarily  tasty.  However, some people love experimenting http://erinskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/going-local-passion-flower-fruit.html 

By the way, they turn a gorgeous orange when they're ripe, and look wonderful on the vine - don't forget to take a photograph of them so that when you're up to your knees in snow and rain next winter you can remember this glorious summer image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569
    hi my passionflower Passiflora edulas i think was always a great fruiter when ripe they were orange and tasted great straight off the plant and the plant can grow huge and take over walls ,fences trees im growing 3 again here

Alan
  • If you want bees in your garden grow the passion flower Caerulea. They go barmy,even trying to enter the flowers before they have actually opened... Grown in a very large pot, fed and watered in a sunny spot will continue growing until late September producing flowers. After wich you can get these lovely orange fruits...Cover with an old jumper in cold districts for winter protection.

• addictaddict Posts: 659
    Alan4711 wrote (see)
    hi my passionflower Passiflora edulas i think was always a great fruiter when ripe they were orange and tasted great straight off the plant and the plant can grow huge and take over walls ,fences trees im growing 3 again here
    Alan

They survive for you there Alan? Would love to grow edulas just didn't think it was hardy enough.