Forum home Tools and techniques

Gu pots and pringle lids.

This is a technique tip only for those who have a resident teenager.

Plastic Pringle box lids fit perfectly onto Gu pots. Snap! Sterilisable, re-usable, airtight seed soaking/stratifying jar. Stands up to boiling water well, does fine in the fridge and microwave too. You can write on the plastic lids with a waterproof pen, or on the side of the jar, to rub off when you've finished. Sorted.

Remember to rinse and aerate them twice a day with cooled boiled water to keep them fresh - the seeds I mean, not the teenagers image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,280

Well I never .....will certainly give it a goimage

• I use pringle lids to cover part used cans of cat or dog food - not quite airtight but keep the flies awayimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I use a lot of plastic trays for pots to stand on and empty toilet rolls for seedlingsimage
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,047

What's a GU pot? image

My teenagers clearly haven't used them!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks Dinah - I do believe I have some half eaten sour cream and chive flavour Pringles lingering in the cupboard from Christmas!

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,648

Got industrial quantities of gu pots. They always look as if they should be useful for something, but I've never worked out what!

Unfortunately, I don't like Pringles much 

Maybe we could have a gu/ Pringles top swap threadimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,386

I used a load of glass gu pots for tea light holders for my wedding. The rest of the year, they are slug pubs, dotted around the garden.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,593

Useful tip! I have been looking for just such lids without success so far. The lids sold for pet food tins are just a fraction too tight for Gu pots and split. The Gu pots are just right for present sized jars of jam, jelly, nut butter etc. Goldilock size image

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

Fairygirl I think that GU is a shop bought dessert, haven't tried then myself.

• DinahDinah Posts: 294

Wonderful innovations people! image I like the jam idea, a nice, low sugar preserve for me please. image

For those not familiar with Gu pots, they are, indeed, a desert in a glass jar, but have no lid - just plastic film. They are fearsomely deadly-sweet though, which is why I think they only suit the metabolism of a teenager.  Children too, but parents can step in when they see a child living on Gu and Pringle. Can't do much to deter a teenager. A box or jar would probably kill me off - strange how bodies loose the ability to deal with these things. "Extreme eating" I think it is called.

For seeds, however, packaging is perfect! image