Forum home Talkback

Can I move plants this weekend

I everyone, just a simple question. Can I move plants this weekend and should I start to cut back me roses? I live in Birmingham. I have a free Saturday and want to make the most of it. Thanks

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,749

If the ground isn't waterlogged or frozen, most things can be moved at this time. 

What did you have in mind, and how big are they. If I may ask.

Devon.
  • This is the best time to prune roses.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,790

I pruned my roses about 10 days ago - I'm in East Anglia - yours should be fine if you do them this weekend, as long as you don't freeze to death doing them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It's a great time to move perennials unless you are in the frozen north - split and replant and the soil is wet enough to settle them in without any more help.  Shrubs will move too, while they are still fairly dormant, though where I am everything thinks it's spring and is romping away.  Try to lift with a good root ball and disturb the roots as little as possible.

If the weather forecast is right, though, and we're in for ice and frost the ground will be too hard to do much.

• I wanted to move some shrubs and maybe a couple of roses. Don't know what they are called. We have had frost every morning this week but the days are lovely and sunny, will this be OK? The weather is about 7 degrees next week.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,308

If you've got frosts - as we've had here for  several days - I'd wait Angela. Lifting something and the replanting if there's frost forecast isn't a good idea, unless they're going into an area which is frost free. I know it's hard when you have free time and the weather doesn't play ball, but you stand the chance of losing the shrubs if you water them in and then get a frost. I'd wait if I was you  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,308

Absolutely hollie - Our ground's been solid here for most of the last week, apart from a few hours here and there. Your own conditions will dictate what you can or can't do image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Don't think ill risk it tomorrow. I went out this morning for a look around and my roses have new growth on them, can I still prune them??