Forum home Plants

Anyone grow Agapanthus in border

• I like your planting combinations Perkiimage

My agapanthus weren't on a warning until I read this thread, I must have overlooked them but only one flowered last year.

I don't want to waste a pot on any of them so I think I'll move them into the best drained bed in the garden for a final chance!

Wearside, England.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863

Mine were all in pots on a south facing terrace last year and even those which were split mostly flowered.

I think the trouble is , it's the summer / autumn previously which dictates flowering , not the actual summer when you're waiting for them to flower.

The biggest problem seems to be drying out in late summer / autumn  ( easily done in well drained soil ) when they're forming the flower buds below ground ( like daffs do ) 

Make sure they get plenty of water and a feed at this time and see how they go.

Devon.
  • That's interesting Hostafan, I didn't know that, thank youimage

My heavy soil bakes into rock in summer so perhaps they did dry out. It's not a plant I ever thought of watering to be honestimage

Wearside, England.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863

therein lying the problem VS. Folk tend to think they just need heat and sun.

Devon.
  • I grew Headbourne hybrids from seed and they turned into thugs when eventually planted into my borders - nothing would grow near them and the mass of roots was huge when I eventually dug them out.  I left them upside down over the winter hoping the frost would kill them and they would rot but they re-grew when I dumped them in the 'unwanted plant' graveyard at the bottom of my garden!

Clearly the majority of agapanthus are quite delicate and many are not frost-hardy but if you grow Headbourne hybrids, beware!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831

The owner of the national collection of Agapanthus was on Gardeners World a number of year ago.  He advised watering regularly during the Spring growing season together with a weekly feed.  This goes against what many assume, i.e., that they thrive on neglect.  Since following this advice we usually have regular flowering, even after division.  We have them in the border, by my favourite combination is Agapanthus Northern Star and Taw Valley, mixed with Eucomis Sparkling Burgundy, which have in a big pot.

• Wow, that is a stunning display KeenOnGreen - they look majestic in that pot and so many flowers too. I have to admit that we pretty well neglect our Agapanthus - there are so many growing around the garden - some where we don't want them like in the middle of a path!  They seed so easily here.

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,492

Very nice KeenOngreen, I just received a eucomis sparking burgundy yesterday.

• S-M-S-M- Posts: 3

I grow them successfully in borders on warwickshire clayey soils. They do better than in pots, and have been there untouched for six years now.  They do provide a home for slugs and snails though, as someone else said, so watch what you have planted nearby!