Forum home The potting shed

Petrol Leaf Blowers

Every week either in my back communal garden or in other local gardens i constantly hear the high pitched revving whine of these leaf blowers......

not only are they noisy, they are also extremely detrimental to health and the environment...

after the "maintenance / gardeners"  have been it looks like a hurricane has hit my poor plants (etc) pics added below.......  

Here are some of the reasons why leaf blowers should not be used -   

1. Particulate matter With wind speeds exceeding 180 mph, lead, carbon, cadmium, chromium, pesticides and herbicides, brake lining dust and tire particles, molds, spores, fungi, pollen, diesel soot and animal feces are blown into the air that we breathe. These toxic concoctions remain in the air for hours and even days. PM 10 (particulate matter that is 10 microns in diameter or less) particles are small enough to be inhaled and they accumulate in our respiratory systems. PM 2.5 (particulate matter that measures 2.5 microns in diameter or smaller) can pass from our lungs into our blood supply to be carried throughout our bodies. Our bodies have no efficient mechanisms for removing these dangerous particles that can cause lung cancer, heart disease, stroke, asthma and lung infection. Particulate matter is especially hazardous to children, seniors and people with cardiac and respiratory conditions. Particulates in the 2.5 micron range can migrate many hundreds of miles and stay the air for days or weeks; 10-micron particles can travel up to 30 miles and stay aloft for hours.   A petrol-powered leaf blower for just 30 minutes produces more emissions than 40 cars, and the emissions are deposited in my garden/house or blown miles away to other peoples' gardens/houses.   A study by researchers at Harvard School of Public Health showed that exposure to PM2.5 in pregnancy, doubled the risk of having a child with autism. “Our data indicates that both prenatal and postnatal exposure to PM2.5 play a role in incurring increased risk of autism spectrum disorder”   The following volatile organic compounds can be found in the emissions -   Benzene 1,3 butadiene Acetaldehyde Formaldehyde Nitrogen oxides (NOx) Carbon monoxide Carbon dioxide Hydrocarbons

• HeftyHefty Posts: 370

2. Noise pollution
    The 75-plus decibel levels that are typical of leaf blowers far exceed safe noise levels. The World Health Organization recommends general daytime outdoor levels of 55 decibels or less. The ears of infants and young children are especially vulnerable to the high frequency noise because their auditory systems are undergoing rapid growth and development. According to the World Health Organization, there is an increasing risk of irreversible hearing damage from noise above 75 decibels. Hearing protectors do not necessarily prevent the damage. Blower noise also increases the risk of accidents, causes sleep deprivation, affects the gastrointestinal system, and increases the likelihood of cardiovascular disease, including heart attacks. Noisy environments impair the hearing health, language development, and learning disabilities of children, and may affect their behavior.

The noise made by the leafblowers in use at Apex Close have the following characteristics -

A pure tone (narrow frequency bandwidth) component, ie a particularly disturbing sound - frequent throttling up and down / revving - prolonged duration (upto 3 hours) - the sound penetrates walls/windows

Exposure to this noise can cause -

Hearing loss
    Tinnitus
    Cardiovascular effects
    Immune system suppression
    Stress hormone release
    Sleep disturbance
    Impaired childhood
    development
    Impaired cognition
    Mental health problems
    Reduced work and school
    productivity
    Reduced quality of life

The leaf blowers are always used less than 50 feet from my home. The World Health Organization recommends general daytime outdoor noise levels of 55 dBA* or less, but 45 dBA to meet sleep criteria. Noise can impair sleep even when the sleeper is not awakened.

3. Wildlife / Nature

Leaf blowers blow a concentrated stream of hot air onto plants at 200 mph--higher speed and force than a hurricane. Leaves are ripped from branches, new growth and developing flowers are damaged and precious topsoil is blown away. Winds stress the fragile living material of plants, causing deydration, burned leaves, and the suspension of photosynthesis and other natural plant functions. Overall growth is also slowed. Natural openings in the leaves that allow for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide are sealed shut. Disease spores laying dormant on the soil or fallen debris are blown back onto plants where a little moisture can renew their cycle of infestation and damage. Blowers effectively distribute disease spores, weed seeds and insect eggs through the landscape and onto neighboring landscapes. They literally scour the earth: stripping off topsoil, desiccating roots, and killing vital soil-dwelling organisms, and causing soil compaction (mainly by them walking all over the soil!).

New plant growth is damaged, stressed and dehydrated. These plants all cost me money.......

Beneficial insects like earthworms and bees are being damaged, nesting sites, nests and other habitat are disturbed, animals and birds are driven away by noise. Pollen, sap, and other natural plant substances are dessicated or simply sent airborne. Every living creature in the range of a leaf blower is harmfully impacted.

a quick Google search will confirm these statements image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,744

I 'm sure if you and your neighbours agreed to pay them more money, they'd happily get down on their hands and knees and pick up every leaf individually. 

I used to have my own gardening business and used blowers for decades with neither a single complaint , nor any ill effects.

Devon.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,064

Looks like they missed a few leaves too! image

thats the thing, they dont even get all the leaves up...............

yeah but Hostafan you cant really argue with the facts that i outlined above?

and surely it does not take a genius to know that its not a good idea to use an industrial leaf blower where there are new plats (etc) growing?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,744

you pays your money and you takes your pick Hefty. 

Don't blame the machine, blame the operator. 

I used to have 2 clients with very long , tree lined gravel drives. I only visited once a week. I'd love you to tell me a better way of clearing fallen leaves which have been rained on and driven over for a week . 

Do you also want petrol hedge trimmer, strimmers, chain saws and 2 stroke motorbikes stopped too?

Hefty wrote (see)

Exposure to this noise can cause -

Can cause, doesn't mean will cause.

Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,871

Car, lorries, aircraft are all chucking out pollutants too.  I don't have any plans to stop travelling or purchasing goods which have been delivered to my local shop. 

Almost everything we do has an impact on our environment.