Use of Vermiculite / Perlite

Hello wondered what people think about the use of Vermiclite / Perlite and what they recommend ? image

• Perlite is a good addition when making up seed or cutting compost.  Vermiculite is a lot lighter in texture......good for covering seeds which need light for germination.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,156
    I find vermiculite helps prevent damping off if sprinkled around seedlings when potting up for the first time.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,947

I have to confess , in all my gardening years, I've never used either.

Devon.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,837
    philippa smith2 wrote (see)

Perlite is a good addition when making up seed or cutting compost.  Vermiculite is a lot lighter in texture......good for covering seeds which need light for germination.

Beat me to it Philippa! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,543

Thank you all for the info , very interesting image

Already sieve compost for seeds , like idea of mixing with perlite , will let you known 

Never thought of covering seeds with vermiculite , have tried grit but wasn't happy with it 

Do realise don't need any of this but always willing to try something different image

• Perlite and vermiculite are both used to improve the soils ability to retain water. If it is that you are trying to improve the water retention in the soil I would highly recommend adding organic matter such as we'll rotted compost as this will improve the soil as well as its ability to retain moisture, I always try to steal away from using vermiculite or pear lite as it creates an un natural look to the soil.