petrol mowers

I am starting a new gardening business venture and am looking at buying a petrol mower for small to fairly large lawns and gardens. Could anyone offer me any suggestions for a hard working, reliable, preferably low-budget petrol mower, there are just so many out there.

Thanks

John

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,486

what are you after new / used and how much is your budget? professional mowers can cost quite a lot of money, but you get what you pay for, if looked after it will last 10+ years.

I call them throw away mowers what b&q etc sell, they might last a season or more if your lucky. It easier to buy a new mower than to fix any major problem. 

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 252

All the gardeners round this neck have Honda. Well worth the extra money, a lot get second hand. I have 21" roller that I can't keep up with, had a 19" before this one which I donated to the church and it's still going well at 20 years old

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,715

Another vote for a Honda.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,538

Another vote for a Honda - have just changed mine - the previous one started playing up after 20 years of good service. image

Even managed to get some pennies for the old mower - sold it to a local Handy Andy who wanted to refurb it.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,285

I used to have a gardening business and I could be cutting grass for an average of 20 - 30 hours a week. I never used anything other than Honda.

Buy second hand from a decent dealer, but don't , whatever you do, be tempted to buy a cheap mower. It's your livelihood after all. You want it to be working for you , not sitting in the repair shop.

Avoid Mountfield these day at all costs.

Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,271

Another vote for Honda.  If you want to use a mower virtually every day, as you are likely to in business, it really is a false economy to buy cheap.

I'll also second the Mountfield comment above.  First one I had refused to start and was returned to the DIY shed.  2nd one virtually shook itself to death in the first year.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,285

I do now have a John Deere ride on  as Honda ride ons are out of my budget range ,

My Honda which has to be 20 years old and I bought it second hand finally gave up last year. I think I paid £475 for it so it lasted well.

Devon.
  • I'd disagree about Mountfield, they make some excellent mowers that are much much better value than Honda.

Sure they do make budget mowers as well, and a mower that costs under £200 is not going to be as well built as one that costs £600.  You get what you pay for.

The more expensive Mountfield mowers are great in my opinion.  I've got a Mountfield SP555.  It has a honda engine, aluminium deck and cost nearly £600 over 5 years ago.  Still going strong and is a great mower.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,271

The OP was asking about low-budget mowers which is why many of us were steering him away from Mountfield.  The El Cheapo Mountfield I made the mistake of buying was simply a waste of money.

• I have an Einhell, German made and so far so good. Try Mowdirect website, loads on there with loads of customer reviews across a massive range of lawnmower brands.