Raspberry advice, West Cornwall

My wife and I are new to gardening and subsequently struggle regarding a lot of issues. However, one issue  that I  would love to have some practical advice on relates to our raspberry bushes and how to prune them.

We miss our nearest neighbours so much now they have moved as they were both fantastic gardeners and when they were here, as a young couple, we were having to spend all our time building our house so had no time for gardening. Now we are starting to get into it, they have moved and we miss them in lots of other ways as well.

Anyway, lets get back on track re our raspberries!

Ideally we would love someone local to us in Penzance who may read this with good knowledge on raspberries to perhaps pop around to show us how best to prune them as unfortunately we have mixed the plants up and don't know which are early or late!

If you are able to help, we would be so grateful.

Regards

Olivia9801

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

I don't live in Cornwall, but pruning raspberries is very simple. You don't even need to know whether they are summer or autumn fruiting varieties.

Look at the canes in your garden. Are they long, handsome, straight sticks with buds along their length and nothing else? Or are they long, rather tired looking sticks with thin, straggly bits where there were raspberries last year?

If they are the former, then they will produce fruit this year. If they are the latter, they should have been cut down to the ground when they stopped fruiting. You can cut the down now and no harm done.

That's all there is to it.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.