Talkback: Growing strawberry plants

hiya i planted strawberrys last year and had no luck ,this year i turfed them up about a month ago when i was making a veg patch in my front garden will they produce fruit this year and how can i help them ive already put loads of organic matter in the soil and when do i put the straw on to stop fruit rot

• Strawberry plants produce a bigger crown for their second year, so hopefully you'll get a better crop. It sounds as if you have carried out good soil preparation, so a great start.

The main point of using straw is to hold developing fruits clear of the soil, avoiding them resting on the ground or being covered with mud when it rains. Personally I'd avoid using straw, as the only time I have ever done this I introduced loads of weed seed into my plot!

My main problem when growing strawberries is the blackbirds. You will probably have to develop methods for keeping birds away, possibly using netting.
  • Poor old Blackbird he seems to be getting the blame for the damage done to stawberry crops, I think slugs are the main culprit, leave some for the blackbird along with a nice juicey slug, that's what I say.
  • thank you adam do you think its worth me taking up the straw then,and to save some money this year ive got a massive drum and im going to make a cumphry and nettle feed because ive heard there both full of vitamins and minerals and when soaked in water for 2 weeks use the water and poor in on your veg will this help all of them or only certain types
  • can anybody help me i cant find or buy bifenthrin anywhere ass too all the problem solutions they say to use bifenthrin.
  • Sidd, to find out exactly which garden pesticides contain different ingredients you can look them up on a Government web site, and check which ones are currently approved.

Check out: https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/prodsearch.asp

Products containing the active ingredient bifenthrin include:
    B&Q Bug Free
    Bayer's Bug and Disease Killer
    Scotts Bug Clear and also their Bug-Free
    Miracle-Gro Bug Spray for Houseplants
    .... and several others

Any good garden centre should have trained staff who can help you choose a suitable product.
  • I grew strawberries for the first time last. As I did not have enough space outside I grew them in a greenhouse in in growbags. The kids had a great time pinching them. The instructions all said water the plants sparingly over winter which I did, however all the plants died. The compost was kept damp, but not soggy. Can anyone tell me what sparingly means? I am going to have another go this year.
  • i h ave just planted about 60 strawberries on a pach of land on the allotment
  • I heard planting them from seed means that they can take a few years to bare fruit, can anyone confirm this?
  • just like to say that I was tempted and purchased a punnet of strawberries I'll not be tempted again by these tastless foreign imports, seasonal that is a word that we should bring back, I know now why they are, ours are truly the best and worth waiting for.
  • 2 years ago i purchased some stawbs from a catalogue they didnt look so good so i put them in a bit of spare ground i had by the shed.now i have so many that im having to dig them up and put them into pots, they have literally ran everywhere ,do they only like certain ground