Forum home Garden design

Not sure what to do with this space.

YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,834

I have quite a romantic looking garden.  I like close planting, cottage garden style plants with lots of perfume.  I have one spot in the garden that Im having problems with because of overhanging conifers.  I can't remove them because of privacy issues.  Most of them I have underplanted successfully but one area is crying out for a focal point to lift it.  I have seen a statue that I like, it's a large stone fairy that I think would looke quite nice but before I spend the money I wondered if anyone else had any good ideas for the spot.

It's the space behind the blue delphinium .

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,194

Yvie - I think that would be a lovely idea When can I move in? image

Seriously - it's a good spot for it, and the ivy and other little bits and bobs would grow round it and over it.You can then tweak them as time goes on. A small uplighter would be a good addition too - carefully positioned to just highlight it image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,069

Well chosen statues are fine.  They can be used to fill an awkward spot or give a focal point or contrast with and thus set off other textures, colours and shapes be they plants or other hard landscaping.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,464

A lovely stone birdbath is another option for that pretty spot image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I think statues look great, other than gnomes image Is that tiarella in the front?

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,834

Lou its a Heucherella 'Dayglow Pink'.  Dove I already have a stone birdbath in the centre bed so that's not an option.  Verdun, it's a lot deeper than it looks, a bit like an ivy cave.  Plants other than Ivy and Vinca would probably not survive there. Thanks for your input you really are a lovely lot.  I really love those wire fairies but I'm afraid the bank balance wouldn't run to one of those.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,069

Friends of mine have a similar dark spot backed by deep purple foliaged sambuccas.  They've put a  white statue in there and it looks great.  

If budget is a problem, try a large white or cream pot on a plinth and plant it with pale variegated ivies to trail down and seasonal upright bulbs and plants for contrast and variety.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,593

I love staues in the garden, just got this one for a birthday present.

Would he look nice there? That's a very pretty corner.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,193

I think a fairy statue would look lovely there, brighten up a dark spot and it's romantic and suits your beautiful garden.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,208

I think a fairy would look great there too .....and you can keep the grandchildren amused with stories about how she ended up thereimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine