Thousands of bees on allotment

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,573

thats a cracking idea go 4 it bathbun

• 4711  We think it is a solitary burrowing bee, a fellow plotholder thinks a mining carder bee, but I have been unable to find a definitive website to be sure.  If you are able to ask and perhaps help we would be so grateful.

Thanks for all your posts too and suggestions, it is most appreciated.

• Oh forgot to say we are in Bath

• All creatures have a mind of their own.They explore,find sites and settle.They also have their defence mechanism. As always defence can be breached. If you see anything unusual on your plot never turn a blind eye. Some years ago I saw a wasp enter a tiny hole in a cloch frame I immediatly block the hole.We on the allotment saw an increasing number of wasps.I search the for the entry where they enter in the ground and block it.If you say the bees are burowing why not try this method.It might work for you.  Good luck John from London

• I'd like to be able to do that, but given the number of holes it would take a month of Sundays to do.

• To the person peddling Avon at every available chance in every available forum, I would like to point out that Avon make no such claims that this product should be used as insect repellant. It contains citronella, an ingredient found in several hundred insect repellant products. Insect bites should be treated peoperly and with care. Not with flippant claims.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806
    discodave wrote (see)

To the person peddling Avon at every available chance in every available forum, I would like to point out that Avon make no such claims that this product should be used as insect repellant. It contains citronella, an ingredient found in several hundred insect repellant products. Insect bites should be treated peoperly and with care. Not with flippant claims.

Mmm-that sounds a bit rude to me -and not exactly in the Christmas spirit?

Not really peddling Avon are they-or making flippant claims-just saying what works for them?

As with all advice you take it or leave it

Happy Christmasimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,868

@ Discodave - Think you'll find the Avon I referred to was the local Wildlife Group in the area known as Avon (because of the river).  Honestly, think you'd better read a thread abit more carefully before getting that high horse out image

Peas and goodwill to all image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,573

we have already got a couple of Oh so soft (Avon calling stuff) for next year, this year it was brilliant against huge man eating  horse flies who really did bite big time and plagued all of us image ,until we found  this cream stuff, all our allotmenteers are very happy with its results and like one or two people said the marines abroad are also happy with itimage works for all of us i personally recommend it

Alan merry Christmas  all

• Im  very allergic to wasps/hornets and have to carry on me,  2 epipens and medication.Last year some "miner Bees"(Ithink) started digging and laying eggs at the edge of my plot. In the winter I dug up the soil and had a  bonfire. In May I saw quite a few hovering around the other end of my plot, I put some disinfectant down and they dissappeared.  In September however, a blanket of bees surrounded my whole plot and have been burrowing and laying eggs ever since. My plot is not dry, they are laying in compacted and newly dug soil between fruit canes, corn on cob, sprouts, in fact everywhere. The whole plot is unworkable, They are still there today.  There are no other sites affected, I dont use anything on my plot, no manure, extra compost etc.The council allotment manager is thinking of digging the whole plot 1 foot deep then laying plastic sheeting on top. But will they be back, will I be able to use the plot next year. He On a less serious note, I used to be an Avon rep and although skin so soft cream works well on your skin, Id prefer to coat myself in smelly insect repellant in all exposed places, just in case.

Help