Forum home Plants

suggestions please

Because of high winds and my nerve giving out (as well as consideration for my neighbours' sheds and fences) we have had to remove a conifer which I planted 45 years ago. Having shed my tears for this beautiful tree I now want to look on the bright side and think of what can grow up the 8ft trunk I have left. It has a rockery round it with some nice plants, but what can I grow up it to create summer colour and winter interest? The ground is basically chalky, the garden sunny. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,756

in my experience, the most attractive option is usually to cut it off at the bottom as trying to disguise the fact that it's an ugly stump rarely works. 

Clematis Montana would be my suggestion if you still want it covered though.

Devon.
  • LieLie Posts: 39

hi Anne, 

Go on Pinterest...lots of pics on what to do with tree trunks. In the end I would start again though. There are solutions (never tried myself - but worth investigating) on using Epsom salt. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,335

What do you have planted around the 'ex' tree and what other things are there - fences, buildings etc?

I'm inclined to agree with Hosta re covering stumps, but a low stump is a much better opportunity, especially as you'll have a load more light into the area without the tree hanging over it.

Cut to about four or five feet it could make a bird table though. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I love that bird bath Tetley!

A net of solar powered LED lights and two (honeysuckles) Lonicera japonica planted with a Tropaeolum specisosum. Butterflies by day and then moths by night.
  • Oopsie, not Tropaeolum for chalk soil....maybe a Chocolate Vine Akebia Quintana.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,512

Friends of mine have used a birch tree stump to park a sculpture........

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,335

That's absolutely stunning obelixx. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

If you do decide to have the stump removed, there are people who do it without chemicals - they come with a machine and grind the stump down and leave just a flat, level spot. I hired someone to do this last year and it was well worth the £120 for two small stumps. It took them an hour. No mess, no chemicals, no back-breaking work for me.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

We had our massive bay tree stump dug up (no room for machinery down the side of the house) for around £100 and now I have a new flower bed image

Or you could grow hydrangea petiolaris up it.

• I saw a tree stump on another site earlier and it had been hollowed out quite deeply, lined and filled with water and had a water lily in it. It looked very effective.