Forum home Plants

Salvia "Amistad"

124»

Hi JMC2

I had the same problem with about 18 mixed Hot lips, Neon and another without a name, the stems are actually green so i'm hoping all is well!

The Amistrad that I had planted outside the church never grew in the end, though my garden one have all survived, though in the storm earlier in the summer some of the stems broke at the base!

Cheers!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,454

I have about 6 Amistads in my garden which reach about 7ft.
    I take cuttings in summer which root quickly and I leave the pots in a cold frame over winter. The plants die down completely and re-appear in the spring.
    Fortunately we haven't had any serious frosts in the last few years so they have survived in the garden and most of the cuttings in the cold frame appear in late spring. There's usually no sign that the plants are alive until late April/May when they burst into growth. Slugs do their best to destroy them as soon as the tender shoots appear, but the salvias usually survive.

Hot-lips is a bit different being a shrubby salvia and doesn't disappear over winter.

Last edited: 24 December 2017 08:44:31

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • This has been really useful and I’ll definitely go down the cuttings route this year.  I live in south Manchester on clay which gets very compacted and wet during winter.  Amistad is definitely (an expensive) annual in my garden for this reason.  Lost them again this year!
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,057
    Hi 
    Salvia Amstead is not really frost hardy and that does depend where your are located. I have Salvia Amstead and Salvia Mystic Blue Spires that I have mulched in winter with a good depth of bark chip to hopefully protect them from frost. But with the - 12 temp. we suffered about 2 weeks ago I will be very surprised if they have survived 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,682
    Mine have been knocked right down to the base, but are shooting back. That's in a polytunnel and the uncovered banana faired better than the salvia. 
    Devon.