Forum home Plants

Salvia "Amistad"

• steven26steven26 Posts: 2

thanks so much Verdun; am just impatient to see them again, they put on so much bulk last year from the spring plugs i got, i was surprised not to see them yet this year.

• I also have this particular salvia, which flowered well last year. I dug it up in the autumn before any frost struck and potted it up. I've had it in the greenhouse over the winter and now have the pot outside ready for re-planting in the garden. It is already in flower. Maybe this is the way forward for you if they spring into action again this year.  

If you want to give them a helping hand now, what about digging them up and putting them in pots with some gritty compost so that they are not too waterlogged. If you have a greenhouse you could put them in there to give them a warm start or maybe put them somewhere sheltered to get them going before planting them in their final position

• mollismollis Posts: 133

Hi Steven,

I had one in the greenhouse that started into growth really early. Now a healthy plant... Was working in there today, a 'dormant' pot on the shelf. I up ended and lo and behold, a new shoot heading for the light... So give it a little longer.. Good luck.image

Last edited: 21 May 2016 22:52:40

• Joan36Joan36 Posts: 1

My Salvia Amistad cuttings are already flowering in the greenhouse, I have cut them back and am hardening off.  Will this restrict their growth or will they recover from my brutal treatment?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,176

Cutting off the flowering shoots now will make them branch and you will have better plants in the end. Pot them on into six inch pots if the  roots fill the pots  they are currently in.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • JMC2JMC2 Posts: 5

I've had great success taking cuttings from Salvia Amistad. I did this in late August. They are now pinched out and potted on in newly bought potting compost and are looking bushy. - about 9-10 inches tall. The question I have is: should I feed them between now and when they eventually get planted in to the borders in the spring? If so, when, how often and with what?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,949

No.  If they're in fresh compost all they need now is to be kept just on the dry side of moist and free of frost till it's safe to plant them out next spring, or better still pot on so they can grow big enough to cope with life in the borders.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Many thanks Obelix. That's very helpful.

Help!

I repotted very strong-growing cuttings into larger pots of fresh compost + grit and only watered them very sparingly as you advised Obelixx. I know salvias don't like the wet. They have been indoors but not in a hot environment.

However, since repotting them, they have been dropping a few shrivelling leaves and showing a small dark edging to some of the leaves. I always thought that was due to overwatering which I cannot be guilty of in this instance. Cuttings now look very spindly. What have I done wrong and can it be rectified?