Burning Bush Kochia Scoparia

I've managed to germinate some seed and am about to pot them up. Any guidance on growing these in the UK would be greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be much info on the internet regarding growing them in colder regions.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,327

I grew them many years ago on clay. No trouble. Don't remember doing anything special.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

It was very very popular in the 1960s. As I recall it was only half hardy in South Yorkshire. Very pretty.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,327

You make me feel old pansy, I grew it in the 70s as an annual.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

I have bought the seeds bu haven't sown yet. I don't think they are a bother at all, I remember them when I was a child, they are only annuals.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• MobowMobow Posts: 92

I also grew them a long time ago, can't quite remember when but I don't think they were any trouble to grow. As Lyn and B3 said, they were were popular and were often grown in bedding displays with other annuals. I have checked a book on growing from seed and it says they are a hardy annual "germinate them at 15-20 in March - April. Germination 5-7 days. Prick out and grow on and plant out in May. It grows best in a sunny position". 

Hope you have some luck with them.

• Thanks all, I had been getting a bit concerned with the apparent lack on info on the internet. Well I'm a little early Mobow. I've germinated a tray of seedlings and they're currently in a propagator. But I'm in sunny old Costa del Newport so I'm hoping they'll fare well by mid March.
  • MobowMobow Posts: 92

DL It's March 1st on Tuesday so  it sounds as though your Kochia will be raring to go down there in sunny old Costa del Newport. Hope they grow well for you. It's bright and sunny but still cold here.

• Hi Mobow, unfortunately I'm struggling to keep these seedlings alive. I read that they required plenty of light and sun. I've been watering them with a spray gun ghorouggly 3 times a day. But they are not doing well at all.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

They're might be too wet, I haven't grown these but most things like a watering when they need it then dry out a bit. Constantly wet leaves sounds a recipe for fungal attack