Forum home Tools and techniques

Jeyes fluid

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 22,744
    edited March 2022
    Pour Jeyes fluid on anything and you will kill it. Have you read the toxicity warnings on the tin?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,358
    edited March 2022
    @ozvikingsgK4GbSF8 I think you'll find lots of people here have used it and then discovered the problems with it when it's used casually in the garden.
    Fine for cleaning out a dustbin if well diluted, and pouring out into a drain, but not for using in soil, and especially not near edibles. I should qualify that by saying - it will still get into the waterways which definitely isn't good, but neither is bleach and several other disinfectants, so extreme caution should be used.

Your opening statement of 'I have so listen up' is patronising -at best.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,446
    There's lots of things happen in South Africa that I don't want to happen here.
    Indeed @fidgetbones.

• didywdidyw Posts: 3,366
    I used it once on a patio.  It absolutely stank.  Never again!
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
    I actually like the smell of it @didyw. I know...I'm weird... :D

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,005
    Good for scrubbing out the goat pens and milking area once or twice a year ... on a hot dry day when it can be left to dry ....... keep cats away from any accumulation of it on uneven ground/puddles where they could lap it up ... cats love it ... and it's toxic to them ... they die an agonizing death.  

Not the sort of stuff I'd ever use in a domestic garden.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,744
    Seems like people here have never use the product in the garden and making comments from that perspective. I have so listen up.

You can safely use Jeyes fluid in your garden, just not on edibles. It generally comes in a metal can.

Before you start, get a watering can you can dedicate to using for this in the garden. Fill the 10 litre can with water first, then add 4 caps Jeyes fluid to the water. Use a stick to stir and mix. Add a squirt of dish washing liquid to get it to adhere to the foliage. Then sprinkle over the roses. Not only will this deal with black spot, but mildew, aphids and ants. There will be an odour but that disappears in a few days.

Jeyes has long been known in South Africa as a garden disinfectant for the , garden.

Enjoy your garden
    I bed to differ. So listen up.
    You poison your garden if you want to.
    Devon.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 720
    edited May 2022
    Ok well I just used the spray version of this to disinfect pots (and tanks - Quadgrow) that had blighty tomatoes in them last year so too late. Everything still smells of it in spite of being rinsed and left out in the rain for nearly 48 hours now. (And I am seriously regretting doing it on the grass, as I have a cat...) Do I need to rinse until it stops smelling? Will it stop smelling?! I have used it before, but it was a few years ago. I suppose I could rinse the pots further inside but the tanks are another matter.

What should I used instead of it if I need to disinfect (big) pots and tanks again?
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,022

As I understand it, blight is airborne so disinfecting the pots won't make much difference from that point of view. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.