Forum home Fruit & veg

Blueberry and tayberry in pots

I've got a blueberry and tayberry plant going well in a couple of pots (tayberry even has a nice flower out). i just wondered if they would be ok out in the frost overnight or whether to bring them in? i've been trying to bring them outside gradually but left them out last night (turned out to be the coldest night of the year so far!) and i think the flower on the tayberry might have succumbed to the cold : (

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Yes they are usually hardy but keep hardening them off or put some horticultural fleese around them,if the other flowers have'nt come out yet they will be alrightimage
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Markos, you need to ensure that today the pots are above freezing so the pot has no frozen soil. Both plants, especially the blueberry are very hardy and if in the ground there would be no worry. What can kill them is if the roots get a sustained frosting day as well as night. If you have horticultural fleece that should be sufficient if you move them to a sheltered spot outside.

• markosmarkos Posts: 160

great, thanks for the replies and advice. i'll move them inside later and keep hardening them off over the next few weeks