to dig or do not disturb

I am starting a new veg plot and I have heard conflicting advice. I want to kill off a section of lawn and start a new veg plot but do I cover with poly weaken the grass and dig over or do I cover with poly mulch heavily over the top. any thoughts. I am planning on sowing next year but I am interested in what others have done.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,785

What I did was lift the lawn as if lifting turf, and stack it upside down to decompose.  When rotted down it can be sifted and with the addition of some well-rotted compost and a little grit it makes a good potting medium.

I would then double-dig the plot this autumn, digging in some well rotted farmyard manure and leave the winter frosts to do their work - you should have a good workable plot next spring.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

I am with Verdun, I have used that technique in the past and it worked a treat.

One other technique if you are interested. Having moved house I was faced with a large area of grass/weeds which had once been cultivated but had long since returned to it's natural state. The winter was so wet I could not dig, so come the spring I laid out chitted potatoes in double rows and then turned a row of turf either side to cover the potato and the grass they were sitting on. The whole lot then got a layer of grass cuttings as a mulch.

I have to say it has worked a treat. I was not expecting much of a harvest from the spuds as there was no added compost or manure. However I'm getting a pretty respectable harvest of potatoes and the ground has started to break up with the growth of the potatoes. Once I have harvested I intend on planting a green manure over winter & next year the plot will be ready for planting a range of veg.

Which ever method you decide on.....good luck.

• Thanks for the great advice, I will have fun trying a new veg plot anyway