Greenhouse Layout

Looking for opinions please on which way round to lay out our greenhouse.

Its a 6x8 size and is located in the NW corner of our garden with fence along two sides - it might not be the best place for it, but unfortunately we cannot change it.

We plan on growing tomatoes up one side (on the floor in growbags) and have a shelf along on the other side on which we'll have chillies, peppers and a few other things in pots.

My question is.....should we put the shelf along the back wall (on the right) and grow the tomatoes on the left - the tomatoes will then get most of the direct sun, but they might shade everything else. Or do we put the shelf on the left and grow the tomatoes on the right? Or am I overthinking this and it won't really make any difference?

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

I would call that South facing, unless something is in the way the sun will move from the East early morning towards the West late afternoon and if the west side fence is not too high into evening. Put the staging come shelves on the North side the tomato's in pots or grow bags facing South and I hope you have plenty of vents, in full sun from the south you will need them plus probably some shading. If your sketch is correct you have an ideal position.

Frank

• Thanks for the advice image

The fence on the west side is 6" and there are some overhanging trees the other side of the fence on the north so it starts to get shade from early afternoon when the sun is high (we're looking into getting the trees pruned back but the owner is awkward and I believe TPOs might be involved too).

We do have an auto vent and I work from home most of the time so I can also open the door on hot days (a second vent is on the wish-list when money allows).

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

It rather depends how tall you want your tomatoes to grow. I have mine on the north side of the greenhouse so that they don't shade out everything else, and the staging goes on the south side because everything on that should be fairly short and allow loads of light to reach the tomatoes. The tomatoes have had full rein to grow up to the roof and over the top so putting them on the south side would leave everything else in the dark.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

My staging has been on the north wall of the GH for thirty odd years, tomato's on the floor south side and no problems. Anything that was on the staging has gone out by the time the toms are up and fruiting. I along with many older growers stop them at 5-6 trusses and nip out the growing tips, with inside and outside tomato plants there will be plenty for the extended family and me. The sun in the NE of England certainly rises high enough to give full light on the staging even with tomato's in full leaf although I do remove leaves covering ripening trusses to let the sun at the fruits. Gardeners have their own methods, what works for some not for others, my experience is my key to how things get done.

Frank

• Oooh varying opinions image

We hadn't thought about how tall the tomatoes will get - last year they were on the north side and didn't do very well. But that could be because we got the greenhouse pretty late in the season and just bought whatever the local garden centre had.

I am concerned that the plants (mainly chilies and peppers) on the north side might not get enough light if we grow the tomatoes up the south wall: with the fence along the north side there isn't really any ambient light entering from there. But we do eat more tomatoes than the other things so we want to make sure we get a good crop.

I think we probably need to experiment a bit - try the tomatoes on the south wall this year and see how we go. If it all goes wrong then we can move things around next yearimage

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Good luck and hope you get a bumper crop.