Best greenhouse width?

For growing tomatoes in bags + some seed trays is it best to get a long 6' wide greenhouse? Would there be more wasted space in a shorter 8' wide one? For instance a 6x12' is a similar price to a 8x8'. Does anyone have any pros and cons of 6' versus 8' wide greenhouses? Thank you!

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Using both sides of the greenhouse for tomat's and other greens six feet is enough, if putting staging in one side then eight feet may suit you better. If you are going to use heat then the smaller the better those extra cubic feet can cost money. It also depends on the space available, you need a big garden for a big greenhouse. Take into account many tomato types can be grown outside in sheltered sunny spots. Big is not always best.

Frank

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741

Not being funny, but how big are you?

The smaller, well thinner anyway,  you are the less room you need to turn around and bend down. A six foot wide greenhouse is fine for me because I'm not a big person. Eric Pickles would have problems doing the same thing in the same space. Not that I imagine Eric Pickles would ever find himself standing in a greenhouse.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The best size is quite a few sizes up from the one that you think is just a bit too big for your needs.

If you've got space for the width and space for the length you'll be kicking yourself in years to come that you didn't save up a few/several/however many months more.

• I'd agree with Frank........go for the largest size your garden and budget can accommodate.  There will come a time when you want to grow more than just tomsimage

Pansyfaceimage  I doubt Mr Pickles could even squeeze up sufficiently to walk up a modern garden let alone get in  the G/H.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,021

I think a 6x12 greenhouses would more susceptible to fluctuating heat, compared with 8ftx 8ft.

Not so it'd make a huge difference if you can be there to open / close doors / ventilation, but it's another factor to consider if you can't be there .

Devon.
  • BeetyBeety Posts: 2

Palaisglide - Thanks, good points. It's good to know you think 6' is wide enough.

Pansyface - Ha, yes, fortunately considerably smaller than Eric Pickles.

Frank - should have mentioned that as I live in a national park I am limited to a size without having to go through the rigmarole of planning. So it's a question of whether long and thin or short and fat is a better shape.

Philippa - Thanks. 6x12 and 8x8 are effectively the same size and price, I want to know which provides the best use of space.

Hostafan - Good point, noted, thanks.

• Does any body have a contact for a friend of mine who wants a 6 X 6 greenhouse he brought last year but needs someone to erected it for him 

He has prepared a slab base already 

He lives in Birmingham but hpknow one seems interested in taking the job on